Surgery: Current Research

ISSN - 2161-1076


Vomiting in Mild Head Injury, an Indicator for CT Scan

Muhammad Rafay, Farhad Hussain, Farhan Gulzar, Noor ul Ain, Salman Sharif

Background: Following head trauma, a CT scan of brain is considered as investigation of choice. We have noticed that many of the patients with one or more episodes of vomiting after mild head trauma have their CT scan within normal limits. Considering that, the aim of this study is to reconsider whether the vomiting is a good indicator of getting a CT scan or not. Methods: This is a retrospective study. This study includes 370 patients with head trauma. The duration of the study is from April 2017 to October 2017. These patients were admitted to the Department of Neurosurgery, Liaquat National Hospital Karachi Pakistan. All the patients were retrospectively analyzed in terms of their CT scan findings. Results: We selected 370 patients with a mild head injury and with one or more episodes of vomiting. Then we compare these patients in terms of their CT scan findings. A total of 370 patients were selected and analyzed for the study. 145 (39%) patients with vomiting had positive CT scan for any findings (i.e. SDH, EDH and contusions). While remaining 225 (61.0%) patients with head injury and vomiting had normal CT scan findings. Conclusion: In mild head injury with one or multiple episodes of vomiting, majority of the patients had normal CT scan of brain. While around one-third of the patients had positive CT scan findings. So use of CT scan in mild head trauma patient with vomiting is still debatable and need more evidence and studies in this regard. Keywords: Head trauma; CT scan; Mild head trauma; Neurosurgery Abbreviations: CT: Computed Tomography; NICE: National Institute for Clinical Excellence; WHO: World Health Organization; EDH: Extra Duralhrmatomma; SAH: Sub Arachnoid Hemorrhage; SDH: Sub Dural Hematoma; RTA: Road Traffic Accidents; GCS: Glasgow Coma Score.