Alaa Hussein Altaiee, Raghad Hannon Shinen Alsudani and Bushra Khalid Altamimi
Baghdad medical city hospital, Iraq
Posters & Accepted Abstracts: Surgery Curr Res
Background: Blood sugar increment during surgery is a part of stress response; this increment is due to insulin dysfunction and glucose production, which leads to increased complications due to hyperglycemia. Aim: To assess glucose level change, intra-operatively and recovery in non-diabetic recipients in renal transplant surgery. Patients & Methods: Fifty-two patients from 1-1-2016 to 1-3-2017 in renal transplant center. All the patients were given general anesthesia with the same agents, monitoring of blood sugar pre-induction and every half hour, soluble insulin was administered when the blood sugar reached 200 mg/dl as 1 unit for each 10 mg above 200. Recovery was assessed using Aldrete�??s scoring system. Results: There was variable increase in blood sugar among patients; 39/52 above 110 mg/dl at pre-induction and 1 patient was 276 mg. 18/52 had 200�??250 mg at least once; among them, 11 patients reached 250�??300 mg, six patients 300�??400 and three reached above 400. Five patients had delayed recovery with no significant relation to pre-induction level, but significant to other readings, risk assessment showed more odds ratio for delayed recovery in high sugar reading. Assessment of increment from pre-induction is a valid test for delayed recovery. Conclusion: Blood sugar measurement is mandatory in non-diabetic in renal transplant recipients.
1. Christopher C C, Hudson Ian, J Welsby, et al. (2010) Glycosated hemoglobin level and outcome in non-diabetic cardiac surgery patients. CJA 57(6):565�??572.
2. Aditi Sinha and Arvin Bagga (2008) Pulse steriod therapy. Indian Journal of Pediatrics 75(10):1057�??66.
3. Iveta Golubovska and Indulis Vanags (2008) Anaesthesia and stress response to surgery. Lativian Academy of Science Section B 62(4)5:141�??147.
4. Deborah B, Grainne N and George H (2004) Endocrine and metabolic response to surgery. BJA: Continuing Education in Anesthesia Critical Care & Pain 4(5):144�??147.
5. J P Desborough (2000) The stress response to trauma and surgery. BJA 85(1):109�??117
Alaa Hussein Altaiee is a Chairman of Arab Board Scientific Council of Anesthesia and I.C.U Renal Transplant Center Medical City.