Journal of Diabetes & Metabolism

ISSN - 2155-6156

Treatment pattern for newley diagnosed type-2 diabetes in Dubai

20th Asia Pacific Diabetes Conference

July 16-17, 2018 Sydney, Australia

Mohamed Farghaly

Dubai Health Authority, UAE

Scientific Tracks Abstracts: J Diabetes Metab

Abstract :

Objective: The objective of the study is to understand the treatment patterns among newly diagnosed T2DM patients in Dubai and make broad-level comparisons against the ADA‚??s recommendations. Method: A retrospective database analysis was conducted using Dubai claims database. All patients with a T2DM diagnosis were identified during July 2014 to March 2016 and their first diagnosis was assigned as the index diagnosis. Patients with a diabetes diagnosis or use of Anti-Diabetic Therapy (ADT) during prior six months were excluded. Patients were continuously enrolled during 6 months before and 12 months after the index diagnosis. Result: The final study cohort included 25,320 patients, of which 63.1% did not receive any ADT during 12 months follow-up from the index diagnosis. For the remaining 9,349 patients, 54.6% patients received the first ADT on index diagnosis date, while the mean time to ADT for the remaining 45.4% patients was 68.6 days. The most common first ADT was metformin received by 88.9% patients, of which 42.9% received it as a monotherapy while remaining 57.1% received it in combination with another drug. The proportion of patients having their first ADT as combination therapy or insulin was 50.3% and 4.3%, respectively. Mean number of oral prescriptions during follow-up was 2.9. The average most recent HbA1c value before initiating monotherapy, combination therapy and insulin-based therapy was 7.0, 8.4 and 9.1, respectively.

Biography :

Mohamed Farghaly is a Professor at Dubai Medical College, Senior Specialist at Dubai Health Authority, Member of UAE Technical Committee for Diabetes, Member of UAE National Diabetes Guideline Committee, Member of DHA Diabetic Board; Accredited Trainer in Family Medicine by the Royal College of General Practitioners in United Kingdom and Accredited Examiner for MRCGP (INT) and also the Chairman of Family Medicine Scientific Committee EMA..

E-mail: [email protected]

Top