Dubey PK and Sanjeev OP
Datura stramonium is a poisonous plant found in many parts of the world. Presented here is a case of datura root poisoning that was followed by acute renal failure in a 28 year old man.
The patient was administered datura root paste as a treatment for hemorrhoids. After 48 hrs, he started showing symptoms of poisoning and later on presented with acute renal failure. He was given supportive treatment and hemodialysis was performed. The patient made a satisfactory recovery thereafter.
Ingestion of Datura stramonium root is uncommon and renal failure in association with datura poisoning in humans is rare. We suspect datura root ingestion as the cause of renal failure and recommend monitoring of renal function in such cases.